Bentonite Application Rate Test Kit
Includes the essentials for testing your soil supplemented with bentonite
Test kit includes pre-drilled 5 gallon bucket with lid, pre-measured packets of bentonite at the 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 lb per square foot rates, and detailed instructions.
If you're asking yourself "How much bentonite do I need?" This is the kit that will help you answer that question.
Ships via standard ground parcel service.
The bentonite bucket test is completed as follows:
- Place 6-8 inches of soil from the pond to be sealed in the bottom of the bucket
- From the application rate table, select the bentonite application rate for the soil that matches the pond soils
- Mix soil with bentonite at that rate in lbs/square foot
- Thoroughly blend the soil and dry granular bentonite until the mixture is uniform
- If the soil is dry, add water 1/4 cup at a time until soil is easily molded and can be compacted completely. Use care not to overwater.
- Firmly tamp the soil/bentonite mixture into the bottom of the bucket
- Using a permanent marker or paint stick mark a fill line roughly 2 inches from the top of the bucket
- Gently (so that the soil isn’t disturbed) add water to the fill line
- Monitor water loss over a minimum 72 hour period
- If seepage continues, repeat at an increased bentonite application rate until desired results are achieved